HIGH RIVER – The Calgary Region Airshed Zone (CRAZ) and Town of High River announce a partnership in concert with Alberta Environment and Protected Areas to bring air quality monitoring to High River. For one year, funding is provided to deploy a portable monitoring station (PAML) in High River. The trailer has arrived and is located adjacent to the Highwood Spray Park on High Country Drive.
CRAZ objectives are to monitor air quality in the areas that have little or no previous monitoring, supporting a long-term strategy for ambient air quality monitoring. The PAML will be stationed in High River until November 30, 2023. It will gather high quality data enabling it to produce a snapshot of air quality, as well as an air quality health index (AQHI) for the location.
High River places high value on the local environment and natural capital. The deployment of the Alberta Environment and Protected Areas PAML in partnership with CRAZ is only possible with the cooperation and support of the Town of High River, noted CRAZ representatives.
- Read the Regional Air Quality FAQs for High River HERE (PDF)
- Read more about Alberta’s Air Quality and Measurements (Link)
- Visit the Air Quality Monitoring in High River web page
Benefits to High River include:
- Establishment of a baseline Air Quality Index for this area.
- AQHI provides an important tool for all community residents to monitor the air quality and relate it to human health and outdoor activities.
- Over the coming year High River will be able to compare air quality to neighbouring municipalities and to locations across Canada and around the world.
- Air quality alerts relating to such things as wildfire smoke will also be relevant to High River area residents.
- This partnership will also provide opportunities to explore odour.
The Town of High River did an assessment of several areas to provide a suitable location for the trailer. Criteria included no obstructions such as tall trees or buildings that could impact monitoring. Town staff will also assist with the trailer’s set up and maintenance over the coming year.
Watch for information next spring as CRAZ hosts a community open house and air quality presentations throughout the community scheduled for next spring. Please visit the Town’s website to read detailed FAQs about this partnership and check often for updates. Visit the CRAZ website at craz.ca
– 30 –
For more information:
Mandeep Dhaliwal, Air Quality Program Manager
Calgary Region Airshed ZoneMandeep.Dhaliwal@craz.ca
Town of High River